Wells Rural Electric CompanyWells Rural Electric Company Contact: Thad Ballard
Wells Rural Electric Company is a member-owned non-profit cooperative which was incorporated in 1958 to obtain central station power for the rural areas around Wells. A board of directors was formed and Clover Valley rancher, Robert Wright, was elected president.
In 1959 a Rural Electrification Administration (REA) loan was secured, an agreement for wholesale power from Idaho Power Company was obtained and Wells Power Company was purchased. In June of 1960 WREC began service to 583 customers.
In 1961 the Wendover Power Company was acquired with the aid of an REA loan which also brought central station power to the Jiggs/Lee area, south of Elko, Nevada, bringing the total served to 824.
The city of Carlin’s municipal power plant was purchased in1979. WREC then served 2,430.
On February 4, 1986 residents in Pine Valley, south of Carlin, received Wells Rural Electric service for the first time, bringing the number of total active accounts to 3,800.